* Paperback: 720 pages
* Publisher: Apress (December, 2010)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1430229705
* ISBN-13: 978-1430229704
Pro Oracle Database 11g Administration is a book focused on results. Author Darl Kuhn draws from a well of experience over a decade deep to lay out real-world techniques that lead to success as an Oracle DBA. He gives clear explanations on how to perform critical tasks. He weaves in theory where necessary without bogging you down in unneeded detail. He is not afraid to take a stand on how things should be done. He won’t leave you adrift in a sea of choices, showing you three ways to do something and then walking away.
Database administration isn’t about passing a certified exam, or about pointing-and-clicking your way through a crisis. Database administration is about applying the right solution at the right time, about avoiding risk, about making robust choices that get you home each night in time for dinner with your family. If you have “buck stops here” responsibility for an Oracle database, then Pro Oracle Database 11g Administration is the book you need to help elevate yourself to the level of Professional Oracle Database Administrator.
* Condenses and organizes the core job of a database administrator into one volume.
* Takes a results-oriented approach to getting things done.
* Lays a foundation upon which to build a senior level of expertise
What you’ll learn
* Create a stable environment consistent across all databases that you manage
* Take care of job #1: backing up, and then recovering when needed
* Manage users and objects, and the security between them
* Do battle with “large”—large databases and large objects
* Move and distribute data using Data Pump, materialized views, external tables
* Automate critical jobs and tackle database troubleshooting problems
Who this book is for
Pro Oracle Database 11g Administration is aimed at new database administrators who aspire to senior positions in which employers and customers trust you to work independently, and with a “buck stops here” attitude.
About the Author
Darl Kuhn is currently a senior DBA working for Oracle Corporation. He handles all facets of database administration from design and development to production support. He also teaches advanced database courses at Regis University. Darl does volunteer DBA work for the Rocky Mountain Oracle Users Group. He has a graduate degree from Colorado State University and currently lives near Spanish Peaks, Colorado, with his wife, Heidi, and daughters, Brandi, and Lisa.