A content filtering solution for your home computer
Blue Coat K9 Web Protection is designed to be a content filtering solution for your home computer.K9 Web Protection's job is to provide you with a family-safe Internet experience, where YOU control the Internet content that enters your home. K9 Web Protection implements the same enterprise-class Web filtering technology used by Blue Coat's Fortune 500 customers around the world, wrapped in simple, friendly, and reliable software for your Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer. Blue Coat's unique Web filtering technology divides Internet content into more than 55 distinct categories. These categories are stored in the master Blue Coat database, through which we maintain and update more than eight million ratings of websites and domains. A Web site will fall into one or more of these categories, based on the content of the site. To meet your particular needs and preferences, you can configure the software to block or allow specific categories. Here are some key features of "K9 Web Protection":
· Service-based filtering - Blue Coat's filtering database operates as a service. It receives and rates over 50 million requests every day, making it the most accurate content filtering database available. This accuracy is important in protecting your family, given the Internet's rapid changes and growth. Plus, there is no database to download. K9 Web Protection won't clog your Internet connection, get "stale" or out of date, or slow down your computer like other products do.
· Dynamic Real-Time Rating (DRTR) - Blue Coat's patent-pending DRTR technology is a very powerful element in our solution, and is vastly different from the old-fashioned "key word filtering" that is so frustrating to users. Using a method of statistical analysis and artificial intelligence to rate new or previously unrated Web pages, DRTR can determine the category of a URL on the fly, without human intervention. However, DRTR only renders a rating when it is confident that it has reached an accurate conclusion.
· We've focused DRTR on recognizing the kinds of categories most likely to be blocked. In particular, DRTR is highly accurate in blocking pornography and other "adult content" sites. This focus for DRTR is particularly important because these kinds of sites are constantly - daily and even hourly - popping up on the Internet, and no static database can keep up.
· Automatic updating - Automatic updates of the K9 Web Protection application ensure that you are always protected by the latest features. For example, in Spring of 2005, we added two new categories to our solution: Spyware/Malware Sources, and Spyware Effects/Privacy Concerns. By electing to block sites in these categories, your computer's rate of infection by unwanted software can be reduced dramatically. We have a variety of new features planned, and your K9 installation will automatically receive updates that include them.
· Efficient caching - K9 Web Protection is a product from Blue Coat. Blue Coat is recognized world-wide as expert in high-performance caching and secure proxy technology. We take advantage of that expertise in K9, so your Internet experience is as fast, reliable, and safe as we can make it.
· Parents, we're living in a brave, new world. The Internet impacts a child's world-view, and our ability to parent, more than any invention in modern times. Every family with children should have some form of Internet filtering and controls to protect their kids. K9 Web Protection provides today's Internet Parent with essential tools for this critical challenge.
· The Internet is a fascinating place, full of rich and interesting information. But as a gigantic virtual community, it has "good neighborhoods", "questionable neighborhoods", and "downright bad neighborhoods".
· As a parent (or simply as a concerned citizen of this virtual community), we believe you might want a good set of guidelines about where to go in this gigantic place. Think of K9 Web Protection as part "guide dog" and part "watch dog", keeping those in your care away from the wrong parts of town.
· With K9, you can decide which neighborhoods are OK to visit, and which ones aren't. That ability makes a big difference when you're trying to provide a safe environment for children. K9 makes it easier to let your children explore and learn on the Internet, while you do what you can to keep them safe.