Combines antivirus, antispyware, and firewall into a single product
The VIPRE Antivirus Premium application will combine antivirus, antispyware, and firewall into a seamless, tightly-integrated security product. Utilizing next-generation technology, VIPRE provides high-performance software that doesn't slow down your PC and is low on system resources, without the performance and resource headaches of traditional antivirus products.VIPRE (Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine) is uniquely designed to reduce computer frustration with its low system resource usage, faster boot times, few popups, and a broad-range of detection and remediation of viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware.The VIPRE Firewall provides bi-directional protection, protecting you from both incoming and outgoing traffic. It can be run in either "Simple" or "Learning" modes. Simple for the basic user running mostly behind the scenes; and Learning for a more experienced user with frequent user interaction. From either mode, you can further customize your Firewall settings. Here are some key features of "VIPRE Antivirus Premium":
VIPRE Premium core engine:
The heart of VIPRE Premium is its core engine, which is used in all of VIPRE Premium's protection methods—email protection, real-time protection, and scans. The core engine works at detecting and removing malware with three layers of detection:
· Signature detection is when an exact match is detected against a known good or bad (malware) file. Bad files are immediately blocked to ensure that your computer is not infected; good files are allowed.
· Heuristic detection is characteristic detection. Heuristics look for known bad patterns inside a file. For example, let's say that a new variation of an existing malware program is released. VIPRE already knows characteristics of the existing file. So, it can use that information to catch the new variation.
· Behavior detection looks at how a program actually behaves. For example, many malware programs do predictable things to your computer system, such as change your homepage on your browser or insert certain information on your computer.
Security Risk Database:
· The security risk database contains definitions of known threats and known goods—often referred to as the whitelist and blacklist. The three detection methods use definitions, of which are constantly being updated by SunbeltLabs™ with the help of ThreatNet. For VIPRE Premium to be effective in keeping your computer free from malware, it is important that the frequent updates are downloaded.
· Generally, a scan consists of VIPRE Premium reading your computer's drive(s), determining what is a threat, and then either removing or quarantining that threat. The scope of a scan can be customized to target specific areas or files on your computer and can be triggered various ways, including manually and automatically at scheduled times.
· Scans are performed based on the VIPRE Premium and MX-Virtualization engines.
VIPRE Premium engine:
· VIPRE Premium (Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine) is uniquely designed to reduce computer frustration with its low system resource usage, faster boot times, few popups, and a broad-range of detection and remediation of viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware.
· MX (Malware Execution)-Virtualization is a new heuristic detection technique for finding malware by running a suspect program in a controlled setting (emulated environment) that is isolated from doing any harm to the PC. This emulated environment uses only a small amount of memory and mimics many core Windows functions, such as the Windows registry, file system, and communications interfaces to see what the malware is trying to do. The actions of the malware are then analyzed for behavioral characteristics common to malware. By analyzing malware in this fashion, VIPRE Premium is able to detect many types of malware without the necessity of creating a constant stream of dedicated unpackers and signatures for each variant of a piece of malware.
Active Protection :
· Active Protection (AP) is a real-time method for detecting malware. AP sits quietly in the background as you work or browse the Internet, constantly monitoring files that are executed (run) without causing noticeable strain to your system.
· Email Protection is a behind-the-scenes tool that protects your computer from potentially harmful inbound and outbound email messages. As long as you have email protection enabled, your computer is protected with automatic email scanning of all attachments for malware and viruses without you having to do anything. When an infected email attachment is detected, VIPRE Premium will attempt to clean it, ridding the attachment of its infection. If the infection is so severe that it cannot be cleaned, the entire attachment is quarantined. VIPRE Premium notifies you of detections and any actions that may be required by you.
· FirstScan is a cleaner that runs at boot time (when your computer is booting up/turning on). This proprietary technology bypasses the Windows operating system to remove malicious hidden processes, threats, modules, services, files, Alternate Data Streams (ADS), rootkits, and registry keys on your computer. FirstScan does not run every time you start your computer; instead, it is only triggered by a locked malware file during the cleaning after a scan.
· ThreatNet is a worldwide network of thousands of CounterSpy, VIPRE Antivirus, and VIPRE Antivirus Premium users sharing and identifying potentially dangerous program files (both through manual submissions and automatically), resulting in the blocking of new malware almost as quickly as it is released into the wild. ThreatNet also enables Sunbelt Software to track new outbreaks and compile statistical information.
VIPRE Premium Firewall:
· The VIPRE Firewall provides bi-directional protection, protecting you from both incoming and outgoing traffic. It can be run in either "Simple" or "Learning" modes.
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
· 150MB of available free space on your hard drive
· 2x CDROM if you are having the CD shipped to you (not necessary for online download)
· Internet access for definitions updates (Broadband recommended)
· Supported Email Applications: Outlook 2000+, Outlook Express 5.0+, Windows Mail on Vista, SMTP/POP3 (Thunderbird, IncrediMail, Eudora, etc.)
· SSL supported in Outlook and Outlook Express only.
· 15 days trial