The Holy Land Revealed 1 - 36
As the birthplace of Judaism and Christianity, the Holy Land (the area in and around modern-day Israel) is one of the most important regions in the world. With a rich history stretching back over 3,000 years, this area is a sacred land for three major faiths and the setting for defining events in religious history, including
* the life, ministry, and death of Jesus;
* the construction and destruction of the First and Second Jewish Temples;
* the composition of the Old and New Testaments, and parts of the Dead Sea Scrolls;
* the dramatic siege of Masada; and
* the journey of the prophet Muhammad to Jerusalem.
The majority of our knowledge about these and other captivating events comes from a wealth of written sources, including the Old and New Testaments, non-canonical works such as the Apocrypha, and works by the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus.
But the Holy Land is also...